By Beacon Staff
The Burlington Fire Department evacuated several businesses along Main Street this morning (Tuesday, March 2) when construction on the riverfront accidentally created a gas leak.
Firefighters responded to the gas leak at about 8 a.m. this morning (Tuesday, March 2), establishing a scene for Alliant Energy to locate the leak and shut off the gas line's access point.
The fire department remained on scene until shortly before 10 a.m., then allowed employees back into the Main Street businesses.
According to officials from the Burlington Fire Department, the leak was caused by a construction worker who dug into an underground line.